This page gives a tour of just some of the highlights the museum, in roughly the order in which the museum is laid out. Follow links where given for more information, and click on the images for a larger version (use the browser “back” function to return here). The entire museum collection can be searched here.
At the entrance to the museum from the castle staircase to the battlements, on your left is Victorian post box, and a display about Harold Lanman, whose collection formed the original heart of this museum.
On your right is a bell from the ship the SS River Clyde, and near the bell is a painting of the ship. This was one of the ships involved in the WWI Dardanelles campaign.
In the photograph, the lower cabinet contains exhibits related to the surgeon Sir Henry Thompson.
The photograph also shows some embroidered silk cards created by First World War soldiers as a means of sending an attractive note home to families.
Continuing down the right hand side of the museum is a montage of information and illustrations of Framlingham men and women involved in WWI.
In the centre of the museum, opposite the WWI montage, is a display of some the WWII posessions of Bill Watling.
Nearby (not pictured) is a display of agricultural implements.
Just beyond are displays of other WWII items such as the Home Front items pictured here.
Beyond this are displays of educational items including one pictured here.
And some leisure goods including smoking and drinking.
Also (not pictured) are some displays of pottery.
Further down, past a display of local pottery souvenirs on the right, is a display of “Then and Now” photographs. These are historic photographs of Framlingham, matched with recent photographs. A larger selection can be seen here.
In the centre, towards the end wall is funeral bier.
On the right (not pictured) is a display of the “Framlingham Weekly News“, published between 1859 and 1938.
There are a number of clocks in the museum, all made or assembled in Framlingham, or with a connection to Framlingham.
On the end wall is a small selection of the works of art held by the museum.
Turning to the left, and returning along the opposite wall can be found a display of cobblers’ tools.
Note that Harold Lanman was an antiques dealer – his sign over the cobblers’ display is a little misleading.
Beyond are displays of local artisanal tools.
Further along on the right, in the firelplace, is a privy – definitely not in use!
Beyond that is a display of items relating to the long-gone Framlingham Branch Railway.
After that are some items from the Framlingham Pageant of 1931.
And finally a display relating to Mary Tudor‘s accession to the Engligh throne.
Mary – soon to become Mary I of England – assembled her forces with her in Framlingham Castle before she was proclaimed Queen of England. The first document she wrote as Queen was written her, and a copy is on display.
For more information, follow the links on this page, or explore the links under the “What is in the Museum” menu. There is far more on show what we can present here, so come and visit the Museum!